Kiev's Prince Mstislaw started the church in 1131.After the Mongol-Tatar invasion, the church became a centre of Kiev social life. Many important celebrations were held there, many notables were buried on the church grounds, and the city archive was kept there. The original building was destroyed in 1935 by Stalinists. The people of Kiev decided to rebuild the church after Soviet rule ended. The restoration was completed in 1998.